SUBSCRIBE to MBP RSS Feed | Get latest updates & offers special for MBP readers only!
Undeniably, BLOGWALKING (BW) is one of the most important ways to increase traffic to your blog. Basically, you are your best ambassador, promoting your blog to others. If they like you, then they will surely visit you back.
Everybody has their own blogwalking ritual. For me, my first priority is to visit everyone who has visited me. Hey, it’s only fair. If they made the effort to come all the way to your blog, it’s the simplest way to show your appreciation. So I will clear my shoutmix and my chat box. Some people wonder why I have both. The simple reason is because I know some people prefer one over the other when BW (I prefer shoutmix especially with all those cute little animated icons). Secondly, when one goes wrong, visitors can always type in the other one.
Secondly, I will visit all those links I have on my sidebar. I put them there for a reason right? It’s because I really do like reading their entries. So I make a point of visiting them whenever they update their blogs.
Thirdly, I also love to travel to random blogs. This is sort of a blog treasure hunt. I just click any name in any shoutbox that takes my fancy and Voila! I arrive at a new and unexplored destination. I’ve managed to discover some truly amazing blogs in this way.
My short four months experience with blogwalking has taught me a few points of Blogwalking Etiquette:
- Do your best to also read their entries and comment on their posts. It makes the blog owner feel appreciated.
- Do not forget to make sure you have typed in your URL properly. It will be your loss if they click and cannot reach your blog.
- If you have a new and interesting entry promote it as you are BW too.
- Try typing something nice/interesting/funny in people’s chatboxes. This encourages more people to click you.
- Have a unique memorable identity. So they know that you are a regular visitor to the blog.
My pet peeves (I really don’t like these things when I BW):
- People who “force” you to follow them. Especially, the ones who say that they have already followed you you so they try to make you feel guilty and follow them back.
- Chatboxes with really tiny font or really curly font because I can’t read!
Honestly, I think my blog relies heavily on BW right now because I notice the difference on days when I dont have time to BW. What are your BW habits? What irritates you during BW? What are the other ways that can help increase traffic to your blog?