SUBSCRIBE to MBP RSS Feed | Get latest updates & offers special for MBP readers only!
I bet many of you do get some or many nasty (rude) comments in your blog, am I right?
If the hatred comments are just one or two… you could easily brushed it off by pressing the delete button. But, if the person or persons keep on attacking you with lots of rude comments, that directly condemn your personal life and close families…. what should you do?
- Cry and stop blogging? Nah.. this would do no good to you. Why would you let some unknown people to make you so sad?
- Reply to the comments and attack the commenter back with anger? Nah.. not a good choice either. You see, this is the sole purpose of the hater… they want you to become so piss-off that you sooner or later explode to pieces.
- Press the Delete button. Well… this could be a good thing to do if the nasty comments are only a few.
But…. I have a better solution for you. Do this and I believe the hater will never dare to leave a comment again…
Have you ever heard about IP address? No? Okay… I’ll do my best to explain in a simple way.
IP adress means Internet Protocol address
You see, whenever you get online, your computer is assigned an IP address. If you connect through the router, all of the computers on that network will share a similar Internet Protocol address; though each computer on the network will have a unique INTRAnet address.
An IP address is the Internet Protocol (IP) address given to every computer connected to the Internet. An IP address is needed to send information, much like a street address or P.O. box is needed to receive regular mail.
When someone leave a comment in your blog, usually you can see the commentator’s IP address along with the comment (in your comment dashboard). Especially if you use WordPress platform or Haloscan for Blogger. Emm.. I don’t think you can see IP address in the normal commenting system of Blogger. Can anyone check that for me? Thanks!
Well, because I’m using WordPress so it’s easy to the commenters’ IP address. Meaning, it’s easy to catch a hater in action!
You see, I got a very rude comment in my personal blog a while ago. The very first extremely nasty comment since I involved in blogging. Instead of ignoring and deleting the comment, I decided to do something more exciting…ha..ha
I created a special blog entry about the comment, trace the IP address and show it off in the entry. Served you right, hater!
You can read my entry titled Sentap Tersentap by clicking here. Oh.. it’s in BM but the rude comment was in English.. so you can still have a look at it.
Now, let’s get to the fun part. How to trace an IP address?
1. Find the IP number you wish to check. The format of an IP address is numeric, written as four numbers separated by periods. Each number can be zero to 255. Example: 184.108.40.206
2. Go to this website. It will allow you to look up IP address information. Just type the IP number in the input box and submit.
In many situations you could learn a few things about the IP address:
Which internet service provider (ISP) the user is using. In some cases this may be the user’s company (e.g. Ford.com). In other cases it may be just one of the large ISPs such as Telekom Malaysia.
The approximate physical location of the user (e.g. Redondo Beach, California.)
Even though it’s not always possible to track down a specific individual, you can get enough information to take action and file a complaint if you want.
Do you think the hate commentator dare to leave more comments knowing that you have the power to trace him even if he’s hiding in a rat hole? I bet not.